Liver & Gallbladder Screening
Liver screening comprises a series of blood tests and/or imaging tests to determine the health of your liver.
There are often no obvious symptoms for many diseases that affect the liver until they are in the advanced stages. By this time, there may already be severe and permanent damage. Detecting any problems early is the key to effective and successful treatment.
Stones may form in the gallbladder. They often present as discomfort or pain in the upper abdomen after eating. Sometimes the pain may be felt in the back or right shoulder. Complications of gallstones include infection of gallbladder, jaundice, and infection of the pancreas.
Centre for Screening and Surgery provides liver & gallbladder screening for:
- Abnormal blood results (for example raised alpha-fetoprotein)
- Fatty liver
- Hepatitis A, B, C
- Liver cirrhosis
- Esophageal varices
- Portal hypertension
- Liver cysts
- Liver tumours and cancer
- Liver secondaries from other cancers
Who should come for liver & gallbladder screening?
Liver & gallbladder screening is especially important if you have the following symptoms or risk factors:
- If you are exposed to Hepatitis A, B or C
- Known to be a carrier for Hepatitis B or C
- Overweight (screen for fatty liver)
- Unexplained loss of weight or appetite
- Jaundice (yellow eyes or tea-colored urine)
- Vomiting of blood
- Abdominal pain or distension
Types of liver & gallbladder screening we provide
- Physical examination by specialist
- Blood tests
- Ultrasound of the liver and abdomen
- Endoscopy of the stomach or bile ducts (ERCP)
- CT scan