Thyroid Screening

Why is Thyroid Screening Important?

thyroid (1)

Thyroid cancer is on the rise globally and Singapore

dna (1)

Thyroid cancer is the 8th most common cancer in Singaporean Women

world-cancer-day (1)

Early diagnosis improves the likelihood of a cure

Thyroid screening is crucial for early detection, prevention of complications, and maintaining overall health and well-being. It’s an essential part of healthcare that can make a significant difference in an individual’s life.

What is thyroid cancer?

There are many causes of lumps in the neck and one of such common cause is due to thyroid lumps. 80% of thyroid lumps are non-cancerous (benign) while the other 20% may be cancerous (malignant).

A more worrying cause of neck lumps is the thyroid gland; swelling or lumps caused by the thyroid gland may indicate thyroid disease or cancer.

Thyroid cancer is a cancer that forms in the thyroid gland (located in front of the neck at the base of the throat). There are four main types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. The type of thyroid cancer is based on how the cancer cells look under a microscope.

What causes thyroid cancer?

While the exact cause of thyroid cancer is unknown, thyroid cancers are linked with the following factors:

Being female (more women are affected by thyroid cancer than men)

  • Having a history of thyroid cancer in the family
  • Significant levels of radiation exposure
  • Certain inherited genetic conditions

What are the symptoms of thyroid cancer?

  • A lump on the front of the neck just next to the voice box / windpipe
  • Changes to your voice, including increasing hoarseness
  • Difficulty swallowing or breathing
  • Pain in your neck and throat
  • Enlarged lymph nodes in your neck (i.e. lumps at the side of your neck)

How is thyroid cancer screening performed?

  • Ultrasound scan
  • Ultrasound-guided Biopsy


Yes, most cases of thyroid cancer can be successfully treated through surgery, especially with early detection.

In most cases, recurrence is unlikely unless the cancer is aggressive or has spread beyond the thyroid.

Meet the doctor

Dr Kum Cheng Kiong

Dr Kum Cheng Kiong is a renowned surgeon with more than 30 years of experience in advanced surgery. He is a pioneer in Asia for Minimally Invasive Surgery (Laparoscopic or Keyhole Surgery) and has performed thousands of successful operations since 1990. A founding member of the Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia, Dr Kum is the former President of the Singapore chapter of the Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia.

Enquiry & Booking

To book your consultation, fill in the form or contact us at the following. We look forward to treating you soon.

Full Name